Building on Hornby Island

Although there is no building inspection on Hornby Island there are a number of regulations that apply.

60% of dwellings require minor or major repairs compared with the provincial level of 32%. Some financial help is available through the Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

Regulations and other information to be aware of when considering building

Land use regulations

The Hornby Island Land Use Bylaw contains regulations that govern the number, size and siting of buildings on lots. Most residential lots are within either the Small Lot Residential Zone (in which only one dwelling, with a maximum floor area of 200 square meters, is permitted) or the Rural Residential Zone (in which a second dwelling may be permitted depending on the size of the lot). Buildings must not exceed 8m in height, or 7m if the building is within 100m of the natural boundary of the sea. (Exceptions are accessory buildings, which must be no higher than 6m, and agricultural buildings, which must be no higher than 10m. Each zone has requirements for setbacks from property lines and maximum lot coverage.

Please visit the below for more information and links.

Hornby Island Land Use Bylaw

Hornby Island Land Use Bylaw

Siting and Use Permits

Siting and Use Permits are required for all construction on Hornby Island. Enquiries about interpreting the Land Use Bylaw and about the application process can be directed to Linda Prowse at the Islands Trust Northern Office.

BC Building Code

The BC Building Code applies to the construction of buildings, including extensions, substantial alterations, buildings undergoing a change for occupancy, and upgrading of buildings to remove an unacceptable hazard.

BC Plumbing Services

The BC Plumbing Services (Part 7 of the BC Building Code) applies to the design, construction, extension, alteration, renewal or repair of plumbing systems.

BC Fire Code

The BC Fire Code contains technical requirements designed to provide an acceptable level of fire safety within a community.

BC Safety Authority

BC Safety Authority. When you're making home improvements, you want to protect the safety of your home and your family. Whether you're thinking about rewiring your home, installing a new furnace or doing any renovations involving gas or electricity, remember: hire a licensed contractor and ensure the necessary permits are obtained.

Homeowner Protection Office

Home Warranty Insurance on New HomesHomes built by Licensed Residential Builders are covered by mandatory, third-party home warranty insurance. As a minimum, this coverage includes 2 years on labour and materials (some limits apply), 5 years on the building envelope and 10 years on structure. It's the strongest construction defect insurance in Canada. Some homes have home warranty insurance that exceeds this minimum requirement. The warranty is attached to the home, not to the owner of the home, and remains in effect upon the re-sale of the home until the coverage expires.

Owner-built Homes

An owner-built home is a single detached dwelling constructed by a person that is neither required to be licensed by the Homeowner Protection Office nor required to arrange for home warranty insurance on the new home because the individual is building the new home for their own personal use.

Unless home warranty insurance is provided, owner-built homes are subject to the 10-year Statutory Protection provisions of the Homeowner Protection Act. These provisions hold the owner builder personally responsible to subsequent purchasers for any defects in material, labour or design for 10 years after first occupancy. Owners wanting to rectify defects must contact the owner-builder directly. Any action by a purchaser under this section of the legislation must be commenced within the 10 year period.

Sewerage System Regulation

The regulation for sewerage systems under the Health Act covers holding tanks for sewage effluent or a system(s) that serves a single family residence or duplex or serves many buildings on a parcel of land, many parcels, strata lots or shared interests whose combined daily flow is less than 22,700 Litres.

The Sewerage System Regulation requires an "Authorized Person" as defined in the Regulation to file information about a sewerage system and a letter of certification after its construction to the Health Authority, which includes assurances that the plans and specifications are consistent with "standard practice." The regional health authorities are responsible for accepting filings and fees for on-site sewage systems submitted by/on behalf of home owners by industry professionals. On-site sewage systems are installed, repaired and maintained by "authorized persons". An "authorized person" under the Sewerage System Regulation is either a Registered Practitioner or a Professional Engineer.

"Authorized Persons" under the Sewerage System Regulation.

Professional Engineers who are authorized to undertake onsite sewage installations

Homeowner Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program - Homeowner RRAP Canada

Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) offers financial assistance to low-income homeowners for mandatory home repairs that will preserve the quality of affordable housing. The program helps people who live in substandard dwellings and cannot afford to pay for necessary repairs to their home.

Your property may be eligible for Homeowner RRAP if your home is valued below a certain amount, at least five years old and needs major repairs in one of the following areas: heating, structural, electrical, plumbing and fire safety. Assistance is in the form of a fully forgivable loan. The maximum amount you could receive is $16,000.

Home Adaptations for Seniors' Independence (HASI)

The Home Adaptations for Seniors' Independence (HASI) program offers financial assistance for minor home adaptations that will help low-income seniors to perform daily activities in their home independently and safely. Financial assistance is available in the form of a forgivable loan of up to $3,500.

Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program for Persons with Disabilities (RRAP - Disabilities)

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) offer financial assistance to allow homeowners and landlords to pay for modifications to make their property more accessible to persons with disabilities. These modifications are intended to eliminate physical barriers, imminent safety risks and improve the ability to meet the demands of daily living within the home. The loan amount you could receive varies according whether you are a homeowner (up to $16,000) or a landlord (up to $24,000).

Contact CMHC

To find out how to apply for financial assistance, or for more information about these programs, please see the website or call CMHC toll free at 1-800-668-2642.